Skip to main content
Wikispaces Classroom is now free, social, and easier than ever.
Try it today.
Pages and Files
Content used with permission from
K12 Learning 2.0
by Shelley Paul
photo by Robyn Gallagher
The 23 Things @ King!
Welcome KLHT Middle School teachers!
Discovery Exercises and Tasks
Below you will find a list of 23 "Things" that will help you learn about Web 2.0. A new thing will be released each week. Each "Thing" consists of one or more
Discovery Exercises and Learning Tasks
. Links to the details for each "Thing" will be added as the course progresses, typically at a rate of about 1 per week. Remember, you are in charge of your learning journey. This course is about exposure, exploration and experimentation, not about "doing it right."
Along the way, you will also encounter a few
activities accompanying some of the "Things." Stretch activities are designed to enrich and extend your learning. Everyone is encouraged to try at least some of them, but they are not required. If you are already comfortable with a particular tool or concept, you should definitely complete the Stretch activity!
For additional Stretch options offered to KLHT participants by your coach, John Faig, check out the
Each of the "Things" below links to an activity on the
K12 Learning 2.0
, as created by Shelley Paul. While we will be completing the
identical set of activities
, our "
" course will unfold on an
, and will occasionally require a
different "publishing protocol"
for completing a particular task.
Any and all variations will be
clearly noted in green text
under the accompanying "Thing" description
. If you are at all confused about how to proceed with a particular task, please check with John Faig before proceeding.
The 23 Things:
Click the link to view details for each "Thing."
Make sure that you update your progress in the Google Docs spreadsheet when you complete an item.
- Learn about the course, get yourself a Google/Gmail Account and get Firefox (
Please follow all instructions as indicated, EXCEPT:
Use THIS FORM to register
instead of the one indicated in the "Thing 0" instructions. You DO NOT have to complete PART 2 of the task (where you are asked to email Shelley Paul).
- Review some strategies for Lifelong Learning
Please view the presentation and take notes as indicated but you are
to leave a comment on the Voicethread.
- Learn a bit about Web 2.0, and Why it Matters
- Set up your blog at Edublogs and write your first posts.
If you elect to complete the Stretch Task (not required), please comment on
two KLHT colleagues'
- Explore some uses of blogs in education; Consider possibilities for blogging in your professional environment.
For PART 2 of the Task, please visit and comment on the blogs of
two KLHT participants
RSS and Aggregators
- Learn about RSS and set up Google Reader
- Feed your reader: find & subscribe to feeds
For PART 3 of the Discovery Exercise please adopt
two KLHT participants' blogs
and email John Faig to let him know who you have adopted.
- Begin to build a reading habit (this will continue throughout the course).
- What is a wiki? Explore educational uses for Wikis.
- Play around with the KLHT wiki (see instructions on
Images & Slideshows
- Learn about Creative Commons
- Intro to Photosharing and Tagging; explore Flickr
- Create an online Slideshow using your own or Creative Commons photos
Discover & Reflect
- Attend a "21st Century" Conference (in your PJs); Comment on other participant blogs
- Explore one or more tools of choice (Gliffy, Quizlet, Ta-Da List, SketchCast, etc)
- Blog about something interesting you've found in your Google Reader
Social Bookmarking & Tagging
- Intro to Social Bookmarking; Set up a Del.icio.us account and begin adding and tagging resources. Please explore the "Stretch" things because most of you already have Delicious accounts.
- Discover LibraryThing
Podcasting & Videosharing
- Intro to Podcasting; Explore some educational podcasts
- Create a "Bare Bones" podcast using Evoca
- Intro to Video Sharing; Explore YouTube and TeacherTube
- Use Google Docs to create and share collaborative documents, spreadsheets and presentations
- Create a custom start page using Pageflakes
- Blog about something interesting you've found in your Google Reader.
Connect & Reflect
- Learn about Social Networking and explore the Classroom 2.0 and other education-related NING Networks
Thing 23 - Add your reflections to the
; Blog about your experiences and next steps
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"